Amid much hype and speculation, award-winning Auckland magician and entertainer Mick Peck has confirmed today that he will NOT be playing the twelfth incarnation of the iconic time-lord Doctor Who.
Widely regarded as one of the biggest roles in British television, Scottish actor Peter Capaldi has been cast as the Twelfth Doctor and will take over from Matt Smith who is to leave the show at Christmas 2013.
Mick Peck says: “Being asked to play The Doctor is an amazing privilege, it’s truly one of the greatest roles in television. However since the BBC have never even heard of me, much less contacted me for an audition, I can confirm today that I shall not be playing the role. In fact I won’t even be making coffee for the new guy.”
Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer of the show, says “It’s an incendiary combination: one of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television. Peter Capaldi is in the TARDIS!” Inside sources say that he doesn’t even know who Mick Peck is.
Current Doctor Who companion, Jenna Coleman, says “I’m so excited Peter Capaldi is the man taking on the challenge of becoming the Twelfth Doctor. With Steven’s writing and his talent I know we’ll be making an amazing show with an incredible incarnation of number 12. I can’t wait to start this new adventure!” To date she hasn’t returned any of Mick’s phone calls, though she does occasionally send him text messages at three in the morning.
Charlotte Moore, Controller, BBC One, says: “Peter Capaldi has all the genius and versatility needed to take on the mantel of the great Time Lord and make the role his own. He’ll bring his own particular wisdom, charisma and wit to the Twelfth Doctor and take the show into an exciting new era.”
When asked about rumours of the popular New Zealand magician stepping into the role she asked, somewhat ironically, “Mick who?”
TALE OF THE TAPE : HOW DO THE TWO WANNABE TIMELORDS COMPARE?
– Peter Capaldi is an award-winning actor, film maker and lifelong Doctor Who fan. He has enjoyed an illustrious career to date in both film and television.
– Mick Peck does card tricks and drives across town with a rabbit.
– Before securing the coveted role of the Twelfth Doctor, Peter first appeared in Doctor Who in 2008, playing Caecilius in the episode “The Fires of Pompeii”.
– Mick thought that episode was nonsense, especially the magma-monster.
– Peter grew up in Glasgow and attended the Glasgow School of Art. While studying there he secured his first breakthrough role in Local Hero (1983). He has also had roles in Dangerous Liaisons, The Crow Road, The Devil’s Whore and Torchwood: Children Of Earth.
– Mick grew up in Pukekohe and secured his first breakthrough role in a 1992 school play featuring Peter Rabbit, Bill Worm, Spi Spider and a funny-looking bird with neon wings whose name presently escapes him.
ASSOCIATED PARODY PRESS